Falling in love with a new piece of jewelry is not strange especially when it’s sparkly but with time, the sparkle eventually fades. This is mainly from regular usage or even if it is kept in a jewelry box. You might consider taking it for professional cleaning which would take a certain amount of money from your pocket.
Here’s the good news: You don’t always have to take it for professional cleaning! You can make your jewelry sparkle the way it looked when you first bought, all by yourself. Just soap and water might do the magic. Sometimes, it could be ammonia and aluminum foil that would make your jewelry look like you just bought it.
It should be noted that some chemicals can be harsh for certain kind of jewelry such as pearls and opals, so you need to be careful of what you use.
Below are how to the various ways to clean different kinds of jewelry at home:
1. How to Clean Gold Jewelry
There are various ways to clean your gold jewelry such as using ammonia, toothpaste, boiling water, dish soap, etc. For the purpose of this article, we will look at a simple method such as using boiling water to clean it.
- Get any amount of water, pour it into a container and boil.
- Put the jewelry in a bowl or dish and make sure none of them cover each other.
- Pour the water carefully into the bowl with jewelry until they are submerged in the water.
- Allow the water to cool then remove the jewelry and gently scrub with a soft brush then dry with a soft towel.
The water might appear dirty but there is nothing to worry about as the water must have removed the dirt from the jewelry. It should be noted that gold jewelry with pearls and opals are not advisable to be cleaned this way.
2. How to Clean Silver Jewelry
Silver is a metal that is used for making nice-looking jewelry but it is known for its fragile nature which makes it develop scratches, stains or dirt. We will take a look at cleaning sterling silver jewelry by making a salt bath.
- Get two cups of hot water and pour it into a bowl.
- Add a tablespoon of salt into the hot water and take an aluminum foil sheet, tear a few strips off and put them in the bowl. This solution is to combat any tarnish on the surface of the jewelry.
- Take your tarnished silver jewelry and submerge it into the solution then let it remain inside for about 5 minutes.
- Take the jewelry out and rinse.
Your silver jewelry, after this, should look as good as new.
3. How to clean your stainless steel jewelry
Jewelry made from stainless steel is very popular due to its durability, trendy look and being lightweight. Its ability to last long makes it always look clean but the truth is that it gets dirty at some point in time. This means that it also needs cleaning and it can be done using baking soda as follows:
- Get a small bowl and make a combination of 2 parts baking soda and 1 part water with the aim of making a paste.
- Get a soft toothbrush and dip it in the mixture until the bristles are covered with it.
- Scrub your jewelry gently with the toothbrush. Make sure you don’t press it too hard so the jewelry doesn’t get scratched.
- When done, rinse it with warm water and wrap it in a dry towel for some minutes so the towel soaks up the water.
- Use jewelry polish to polish it. Make sure it is safe for stainless steel.
4. How to clean costume jewelry
The kind of metals and stones found on costume jewelry are less expensive compared to jewelry made from gemstones and other precious metals. However, it doesn’t mean that costume jewelry isn’t valuable in any way and therefore would require special cleaning methods due to the less durable metals and stones on them.
- A dry clean method can be carried out to clean a tarnished costume jewelry and it can be done like this:
- Get a place to do the cleaning with excellent lighting and barely any shadows.
- Get a dry soft toothbrush and use it scrub the jewelry’s surface.
- A can of compressed air should be held about an inch away from the jewelry then sprayed to loosen the dust and dirt present.
- Use a magnifying glass to inspect the jewelry.
- Use a toothpick to remove and dirt spotted from the magnifying glass.
- Get a soft dry cloth and polish the jewelry with it.
5. How to clean a copper jewelry
Copper jewelry would need good cleaning due to its perishable nature after it has been exposed to sulfides from the air and humidity. Here’s how to clean a copper jewelry:
- Get a jewelry polishing cloth and clean the piece by rubbing the cloth gently on it.
- Clean the piece with any household products like lemon and some salt or ketchup/tomato juice or baking soda.
- Rinse and dry. Your jewelry is clean.
Whatever kind of jewelry you wear, be it gold, silver, copper, silver plated, brass, stainless steel, etc., you can always clean it with baking soda by yourself at home.